By Josie Ahlquist
Around one year ago I wrote a post called “Choosing a Spring National Conference” spelling out the line up for spring national conferences. I bring you version 2.o for 2015, also including ways you can be part of the conference experience without physically being on site.
There are many decisions that go into attending a conference. Especially in the spring, a number of national conferences are scheduled to choose from. Due to the various costs that it takes to attend each of these, for most professionals the likelihood is only attending one, if any at all.
To help bridge these challenges, every year conferences seem to integrating technology to further their educational offerings and attendee interaction. For example conference hashtags, as well as live streaming keynotes and educational sessions.
Please make note of the early bird deadlines that I have gathered. I have noticed some trends, including early bird deadlines being pushed up weeks early from last year. I have also noticed three association prices significantly rose since last year, while two others have remained the same. One association (ACPA) prices dropped across each early bird registration category.
National Association of Campus Activities (NACA)
- Dates: February 14-18 2015
- City: Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Registration costs: Early bird January 24th Members – $351 Non-Members – $483
- Website: https://www.naca.org/Convention/pages/default.aspx
- Follow Hashtag #NACA15
College Student Educators International (ACPA)
- Dates: March 5-8th 2015
- City: Tampa, FL
- Website: http://convention.myacpa.org/tampa2015/
- Registration: Early Bird February 18th Member $450 Student $190 Non-Member $650
- Follow Hashtag #ACPA15
National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- Dates: March 21-25th 2015
- City: New Orleans, LA
- Registration: Early Bird Ends January 16th Member $430 Student Member $145 Non-Member $605
- Website: http://conference2015.naspa.org/
- Can’t attend? Check out the NASPA Virtual Ticket: http://conference2015.naspa.org/program/virtual-ticket
- FREE to NASPA members, $199 Live and on-demand viewing
- Follow Hashtag #NASPA15
Association of College Unions International (ACUI)
- Dates: April 8-12th
- City: San Antonio,TX
- Registration: Early Deadline by December 17th Member $795 Students $395 Non Member $1,025
- Website: http://www.acui.org/sanantonio/
- Follow Hashtag #ACUI15
National Intramurals-Recreation Sports Association (NIRSA)
- Dates: March 30th-April 2nd
- City: Grapevine, TX
- Registration: Early bird February 18th Member $565 Nonmember $735 Student Member $450
- Website: www.nirsa.org/nirsa2015
- Follow Hashtag #NIRSA2015
Association of College and University Housing Officers – International (ACUHO-I)
- Dates: June 27-30th, 2015
- City: Orlando, FL
- Registration: Early Registration April 30th Member $588 Non-Member $798
- Website: http://www.acuho-i.org/events/ace
- Follow Hashtag #ACUHOI
For more information about choosing a national conference, check out my post last year that considers four major elements to consider including your conference goals, adding up your costs and receiving institutional support.
I’d love to hear other conferences to consider in Student Affairs this spring and early summer. How are you seeing technology fused into the conference experience on-site as well as for virtual attendees?
Personally, this year will be a very heavy conference attendance season, as I share research from many studies I have been working on. You can find me at NACA, ACPA and NASPA! Hope to see you there!
If you can’t attend, follow me at @josieahlquist as I’ll be tweeting out session content!